TBB Breastfeeding Support Group
EVERY MONDAY FROM 11 AM to 1PM
The Best Beginning provides high quality support and encouragement to those breastfeeding, in a relaxed, social atmosphere. It is staffed by lactation consultants trained to assist with common breastfeeding problems.
The Best Beginning Breastfeeding Support Group, aims to provide a place:
- where all pregnant and breastfeeding mothers are welcome.
- where information, help and support can be sought on all breastfeeding issues.
- where breastfeeding at whatever stage is respected and promoted.
- where breastfeeding is viewed as a natural way to nourish and nurture a baby/child.
At The Best Beginning, we feel promoting breastfeeding is important as studies have shown that breastfeeding provides many benefits for both the baby and mother.
The benefits of breastfeeding for the baby include:
- improved immune health
- fewer infections (ear infections, diarrhoea, respiratory infections, urinary tract infections)
- reduced risk of diabetes
- reduced childhood obesity
- reduced allergic disease
- reduced risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome)
- improved cognitive development/intelligence
The benefits of breastfeeding for the mother include:
- improved bonding with baby
- greater weight loss after baby’s birth
- reduced breast, ovarian and endometrial (womb) cancer
- providing a degree of natural contraception while breastfeeding
- reduced health care costs as a result of less illness in the baby and mother
Breastfeeding also reduces health care costs for societies and is more environmentally friendly.
So whether you are pregnant and deciding how to feed your baby, have a newborn and experiencing problems or planning to go back to work and you are still breastfeeding, we are on hand to help at The Best Beginning Breastfeeding Support Group.
As a drop in centre, we provides a support network for mothers. Tea, coffee, cold drinks and snacks are provided in a relaxed atmosphere. So come along, have an afternoon out, meet new friends and take some expert advice home with you!